This post covers the Emperor Tarot Card Meaning in the traditional tarot deck. Featured card is from the Tarot of the Ages deck
Planet: Mars energy
Astrology: Aries – Dynamic manifestation, energetic growth, birth of new potential
Hermetic Kabbalah Element: 15 – heh
- Aries energy
- Authority, assertiveness, confidence, vigor, structure, authority, rules and control
- Mind over heart, mind over matter.
- Experience and knowledge.
- Forge ahead.
- Rules without emotion and not easily influenced.
- If The Empress is about the organic positive forces in life like creativity and passionate rule; the Emperor is about structure, logic, stability and authority. “The Father” – masculine energy.
Emperor Tarot Card Meaning In a reading:
- This card asks what world are you building and why? Who is in control?
- The querent should step into their power, take charge of their life and do what is needed to achieve the thing.
- Get serious and practical about budgeting, organization, goals, planning etc.
- It can mean that the querent’s rational mind is in charge instead of intuition or it can mean the need to take better control of one’s life.
- Finding pleasure in order. Helps understand purpose of rules.
- Responsibility for sharing wisdom with the world.
- Confidence, stamina, knowledge.
- Often comes up when there is a need to reorient to authority or if dealing with authority currently. Or the need to see the kingly power within themselves.
- Confirmation that the querent has what it takes – they have the courage and stamina- time to take that seriously. Permission granting card – “its your time, you can do it.”
- The querent is receiving validation to do the thing.
- If 5 of swords or 7 of wands (combative conflicted energy) also out – definitely refers to shadow side of the emperor.
Symbolism in the card:
- Ram Head – Aries / Mars
- Armor – protected / war / emotionally shut off
- White beard – wisdom
- Ankh – eternal life / virility
- Orb – ruling his world
- Red Robe – passion, power, masculine energy
- Crown – authority
- Mountains – resistant to change / solid foundation
- The number “4” – stable cube but it can also be brittle
- Older man – gained wisdom or absolute power has left him corrupt (we don’t know for sure)
- Navigating positive structure
- Authority in a collective (in a positive way)
- The alpha Wolf that makes the pack feel calm.
- It is an energy of practicality, taking stock, strategic thinking and is decisive action
- Patriarchy, master/ servant dynamic.
- Lack of control and the need for self-discipline.
- Positive direction is needed.
- Controlling and / or stuck in ego.
- Using others as a means to an end.
- My way or the highway.
- Authority messing with you. Domination. Inflexible. Narcissism.
- Fire magick.
- Cultivating will (Mars).
- New moon – set intention to strengthen will.
- Include structures on your alter
- Dress in a way that makes you feel powerful
- Stand taller.