Astrology and Human Design are two interesting systems that have emerged from our exploration of the night sky. While both offer insights into our lives and personalities, they take different approaches to shedding light on who we are and what we are here to do. In this article, I highlight the differences and similarities between astrology and Human Design.
***Disclaimer – both Astrology and Human Design are complex and incredibly nuanced. This article is intended to be a high-level summary.
Western Astrology – The Influence of the Stars in Our Life
Western Astrology is an ancient practice that dates back thousands of years and operates on the idea that celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, influence an individual’s personal life and natural events. These cosmic influences are believed to shape our personalities, behaviors, and life paths. Astrology typically involves the study of a person’s natal chart which is a personalized “map” of the positions of celestial bodies at the time of their birth.
Key Information about Western Astrology
- The 12 Zodiac Signs – A person’s zodiac sign is determined by a person’s birthdate, birth time, and birth location. Each zodiac sign is associated with a specific element (e.g., fire, earth, air, or water) and represents different personality traits, preferences, and characteristics. For example, a person born as a Libra zodiac sign is said to embody the following high-level characteristics: diplomacy, fairness, adaptability, conflict avoidance, and a strong sense of justice.
- Planetary Influences – Astrologers consider the positions of planets in the zodiac, also known as “aspects”, to interpret how they interact with each other and influence an individual’s life. Each planet represents a specific “energy” or characteristics depending on where these planets show up. For example, at a high level, the planet Mercury is associated with communication, writing, logic, travel, movement, and information processing.
- The Houses – A person’s natal chart is divided into 12 segments called houses, like pieces of a pie. Each house represents different areas of a person’s life, such as relationships, careers, and spirituality. For example, the 12th House is about the subconscious mind, spirituality, mysticism, creativity, imagination, and much more.
Human Design System – A Blueprint of Your Authentic Self
The Human Design System is a newer system created in the late 20th century by Ra Uru Hu. It combines elements from Western Astrology, the Chinese I Ching, the Kabbalistic Tree of Life, and the Chakra system. It is a system that provides a comprehensive understanding of a person’s unique design, encompassing both conscious and unconscious aspects.
Key Information about the Human Design System
- The 5 Energy Types – Human Design identifies five energy types—Generator, Manifestor, Manifesting Generator, Projector, and Reflector. Each energy type has a distinct way of using its energy to engage with the world and make decisions.
- The Bodygraph Chart – The system maps out nine energy centers, 36 Channels, and 64 gates. Each is associated with specific attributes and characteristics. The presence or absence of energy in these centers shapes an individual’s gifts, talents, motivations, strengths, and challenges.
- Strategy and Authority – Human Design emphasizes making decisions based on one’s “strategy” (how to best use your energy) and “authority” (the most reliable decision-making center within your design). Every energy type has a specific “strategy” and every bodygraph chart has a specific “authority”.
Comparing Astrology and Human Design
- Foundation – Astrology is rooted in the observation of celestial bodies in the night sky and their influence on Earth and the people on it. Human Design integrates various metaphysical and spiritual systems to create a holistic blueprint of a person’s unique self.
- Focus – Astrology emphasizes the positions of celestial bodies at the time of birth and their ongoing transits, while Human Design focuses on the unique energy configuration within an individual’s design.
- Approach to Personal Growth – Astrology provides insight into potential challenges and strengths based on celestial alignments, whereas Human Design offers practical strategies for decision-making and living in alignment with one’s true self.
- Human Design Index (all Human Design on my site) – CLICK HERE
- Astrology Index (all Astrology articles on my site) – CLICK HERE
- Astrology: An Enlightening Primer for Starry-Eyed Beginners by Madeline Gerwick
- The Definitive Book of Human Design: The Science of Differentiation by Lynda Bunnell and Ra Uru Hu
- Jenna Zoe myhumandesign.com Level 1 – 3 Reader Training
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions & help support the site.