Check out the Free Resource Library for planner-related printable PDF’s and digital products.
In this post, I walk through a monthly budget tracker layout. I have been tracking my monthly budget via a spreadsheet for a long time now and this is the layout that I use.
This layout can also be created in a bullet journal or DIY Planner.
Purpose of this Tracker
- Capture total monthly income (at the top)
- List recurring or predictable monthly expenses including the estimated amount and due date.
- Total of predictable monthly expenses
- Amount left over after monthly expenses are considered
- Total income – total monthly expenses
- In a separate table, I also track non-monthly expenses such as quarterly or annual expenses (e.g., Car BMV Plate renewals, annual subscription services)
How I use this tracker for budgeting
- I initially set up this tracker so I could have an understanding of monthly / recurring expenses and so I could have a way to remind myself of annual or quarterly expenses and when they are due.
- I will update this tracker periodically throughout the year so I have an idea of how much I am spending and to make sure I am still on track.
- Income and expenses can change over time so updating this tracker based on real-life changes helps me keep things on track.
- It also helps me know when I need to pivot. For example, am I spending too much and need to adjust? Do I now have a little extra income and there is an opportunity to pay off more debt or send more money to savings each month?
- I have also used this tracker to play with numbers to help me make decisions about hypothetically situations. For example, if we spend $500 more on a mortgage payment what does that look like for us?
Items used in this video
- XL Moleskine Notebook (squared/grid) 7.5 x 9.5
- Morefone Calligraphy Pens (No bleed)
- Zebra M301 7mm Mechanical Pencil
- Phone Ring Light Overhead Mount
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions & help support the site.