Chakras vs Energy Centers – that is what this article is about! If you have learned a bit about Human Design you have probably wondered about the difference between the Human Design Energy Centers and the Chakras.
At first glance, these two systems appear closely related especially when it comes to energy centers. To an extent, this is true because the Human Design System is a blend of principles from the Hindu-Brahmin Chakra system, the Chinese I Ching, Western Astrology, Kabbalistic Tree of Life, and quantum physics.
While both Human Design and the Chakra system delve into the intricacies of our energy centers, they come from different cultural and philosophical backgrounds. See the similarities and differences explained below.
The Hindu Brahman Chakra System
- The Hindu Brahman Chakra system, commonly referred to as the Chakra System, is deeply rooted in ancient Indian spiritual and philosophical traditions. Originating from ancient texts such as the Vedas and Upanishads, the Chakra System is a complex framework that maps the flow of vital energy, or prana, throughout the body.
- The system recognizes seven main energy centers aligned along the spine, known as chakras. Each chakra is associated with specific qualities, elements, and aspects of consciousness. The Chakra System serves as a guide for balancing and aligning the energetic and spiritual dimensions of an individual, facilitating personal growth, and enhancing overall well-being.
Human Design System
- Human Design provides a guide on how we can live in sync with our true nature. In Human Design you take your birth details to create something called a BodyGraph chart. This chart reveals what aspects of our energy type, skills and traits we should lean into to experience flow and acceptance of our true selves.
- In this bodygraph chart, you will notice that there are 9 energy centers in the form of triangles, squares, and diamond shapes. These energy centers can show up as white or colored and whether or not the energy centers have color is determined by your birth details.
- Both Human Design and the Chakra System are grounded in the idea of “energy centers”. In Human Design, there are nine Centers that govern various aspects of our lives, while the Chakra System identifies seven main energy centers aligned along the spine.
Energetic Influence on Well-Being
- Both systems acknowledge the important influence that energy has on our well-being and that imbalance, external conditioning, or blockage in these energy centers can impact our physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
- Human Design and the Chakra System recognize the interconnected nature of the energy centers. They both acknowledge that the state of one energy center can influence the functioning of the others, emphasizing the holistic nature of our energetic being.
- The Chakra System has ancient roots in Hindu and yogic traditions, dating back thousands of years, while Human Design is a more recent system, developed in the late 20th century by Ra Uru Hu.
Number of Centers
- Human Design identifies 9 Energy Centers, each associated with specific themes and aspects of life, whereas the Chakra System traditionally recognizes 7 main energy centers.
- The 9 Energy Centers in Human Design are – Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Spleen, Ego (or Heart), G-Center, Throat, Ajna, and Crown,
- The 7 Chakras are – Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Third Eye, and Crown.
Energy Center Function and Dynamics
- In Human Design, Centers can be defined (consistent energy) or undefined (variable energy), leading to a diverse range of energy dynamics. The Chakra System, on the other hand, typically focuses on balancing and aligning the seven primary energy centers.
- Human Design Energy Centers are associated with characteristics such as awareness, processing, and manifestation, each with specific attributes whereas, in the Chakra System, each center is linked to spiritual and psychological attributes, influencing aspects of consciousness and personal development.
- Human Design incorporates Energy Centers into the individual’s decision-making process, emphasizing strategies based on one’s energy center circuitry. The Chakra System, while influencing decision-making indirectly through balance and alignment, is NOT primarily focused on specific decision-making strategies.
- Featured image photo by Stellar-Serbia from Getty Images Pro
- The Definitive Book of Human Design: The Science of Differentiation by Lynda Bunnell and Ra Uru Hu
- Jenna Zoe myhumandesign.com Level 1 – 3 Reader Trainings
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions & help support the site.