If you are a “seeker” (like me) you are likely on a journey of self-discovery which can be a transformative experience and in my experience, there is value in using more than one framework to increase self-awareness and explore the intricacies of our individuality. In the vast landscape of self-discovery tools, a few have been very helpful to me: Human Design, Western Astrology, Numerology, and Myers-Briggs Personality Types. Please find a comparison of these frameworks below.
Human Design System – Navigating Your Unique Blueprint
What it is
- Human Design is a holistic system that synthesizes elements of Western astrology, the Chinese I Ching, the Kabbalistic Tree of Life, and the Chakra system. Like Astrology, your birth date, time, and location are used to generate a “blueprint” or map of your energy type which will be one of five distinct Energy Types – Generator, Manifestor, Manifesting Generator, Projector, or Reflector.
- Each bodygraph chart is unique and, in addition to identifying your energy type, it will also provide you with your decision-making Strategy and Authority, your gifts, talents, communication style, personality characteristics, and your life path.
- If you are interested in discovering your Human Design I recommend the following website to get your chart.
- Go to myhumandesign.com and go to “Get Your Chart”.
- Input your birth details including birth day, birth time, and birth location.
- NOTE – Information in the bodygraph chart is VERY sensitive to birth time so it is important to have an accurate birth time if possible.
- If you are interested in getting your personalized Human Design chart reading or report – please see my “READINGS” page.
- If you are looking for a Human Design App I recommend Jena Zoe’s myhd app – https://www.myhumandesign.com/app/
How it helped me
- The biggest impact Human Design has had in my life is forcing me to tap into my own inner knowing or intuition especially when it comes to making decisions and deciding what to pursue next. I honestly have more faith in MYSELF and trust that if I listen to what my inner wisdom and body are telling me it will get me where I want to be AND I will enjoy the journey. I used to give “experts” on the internet, coaches, or teachers more power over my own life. I thought that I needed to do things in a specific way someone else did them because it apparently worked for them. This led to a situation where I felt like I was constantly on a hamster wheel of frustration because the way I was trying to do things or force things was not in alignment with me. I find that I am now enjoying MY life journey much more.
Western Astrology – A Celestial Map of Your Personality
What it is
- The roots of Western Astrology reach back thousands of years, and it examines the positions of celestial bodies at the time of your birth. When you input your birth details into an astrological calculator you will generate a chart that astrologers can use to identify your zodiac sign which is associated with specific personality traits. The 12 zodiac signs are Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces.
- Additionally, astrologers will analyze the placement of celestial bodies in your natal chart which is divided into 12 “houses” to offer insights into your strengths, challenges, and life path.
- If you are interested in pulling up your astrological chart I recommend Astro-Chart.com or Cafe Astrology.com.
- I also recommend the following astrologers. I am not sure how much longer they will do personal readings so keep this in mind when you check them out.
- Danielle Beinstein – https://www.daniellebeinstein.com/about-danielle-beinstein
- Ricky Williams – https://rickywilliams.life/
- See Sees the Stars – https://www.sheseesthestars.com/
- I also recommend the LILA Astrology App – it’s amazing!
How it helped me
- I have had 2 personal natal chart readings and 1 couples synergy reading (see recommendations above). I also regularly use the LILA Astrology App and love the insights I get from it (even the free version).
- Here are the top 3 things that astrology has helped me with the most:
- Understanding my North Node and South Node really helped me understand WHERE I need to push myself outside of my comfort and it also validated my motivation to travel and live far away from where I grew up.
- The synergy reading I had with my husband really helped me understand the astrological reason for some of the challenges we were having in our relationship. That understanding allowed me to accept who we BOTH are at a deeper level and explore new ways of staying connected.
- My astrological reading offered a compelling reason as to why I struggle to speak my truth and why I worry so much about saying the wrong thing. This understanding has been incredibly validating and I admit that I STILL struggle with this but I continue to try and push myself outside my comfort zone often.
Numerology – Unlock the Secrets of Numbers in Your Life
What it is
- Numerology is essentially the “science of numbers”. Each number (e.g., 1-9, 11, 22) has a specific vibration and these energies show up in your own life journey. This system is not new and it dates back thousands of years when it was used in ancient civilizations such as Greece, India, Egypt, and China.
- Numerology can tell us things about our purpose in life and the karmic lessons or challenges we will encounter as we move through life. This system can also tell us something about our personality and the home in which we live (e.g., address numbers)
- By calculating key numbers such as the Life Path Number and Destiny Number, you can discover your innate traits, purpose, and potential challenges you will encounter.
- I don’t have a website or fancy app to recommend but I do love this book:
How it helped me
- Back in 2019, I had a Numerologist pull together my Numerology report that included the following – Life Path #, Destiny #, Soul #, Personality #, Karmic Lesson #, and more. It also included a forecast of the future highlighting my major life cycles and challenges.
- Learning my Life Path number is something I come back to continually because I find it validating when I start to doubt everything I am doing. In a nutshell, my Life path number is about the contemplative “truth seeker” who is here to uncover secrets of the universe and find their spiritual path. I often wonder why am I so drawn to magic, spirituality, and the mysteries in life – the aspects of life that often get a lot of criticism. I often think, “Why didn’t I want to become a doctor or lawyer?” LOL! But when I look at my Life Path # I am like, “Ok, I am doing what I am here to do – critics be damned”.
Myers-Briggs Personality Types – Psychological Framework for Understanding Yourself
What it is
- The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a widely used personality assessment that provides valuable insights into individual preferences, behavior patterns, and cognitive processes. By categorizing individuals into one of sixteen personality types based on four dichotomies—Extraversion vs. Introversion, Sensing vs. Intuition, Thinking vs. Feeling, and Judging vs. Perceiving—the MBTI offers a comprehensive framework for understanding ourselves.
- This tool not only helps us recognize our natural inclinations and preferred ways of interacting with the world but also sheds light on our strengths, potential areas for growth, and interpersonal dynamics.
- The MBTI can be a powerful instrument for personal self-awareness that encourages us to embrace our unique qualities, appreciate differences, and navigate various aspects of our lives more consciously. When you understand your personality type, you can make informed decisions, enhance your communication skills, and foster personal development.
- If you are interested in discovering your Myers-Briggs Personality Type for free go to 16personalities.com.
- This is my favorite Myers-Briggs Book – Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey
How it helped me
- I learned about Myers-Briggs Personality Type in my Personality Psych class in college back in the 90’s and I have been obsessed ever since. Once I understood the different preferences and personality types it REALLY helped me understand and appreciate other people in my life. I now understood why my mom didn’t like to plan anything. I understood how my sister seemed to get energy from being social whereas I was the completely opposite. I use these insights to communicate in a way that is respectful of their preferences but also advocates for my own.
- The Definitive Book of Human Design: The Science of Differentiation by Lynda Bunnell and Ra Uru Hu
- Jenna Zoe myhumandesign.com Level 1 – 3 Reader Training
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions & help support the site.