In this article, I will tackle the question – What is Human Design? Specifically, I will cover 1) What Human Design is and its origination? 2) What is an Energy Type? 3) How to get started 4) The 5 Energy Types and 5) Strategy and Authority
But first I just want to share that I am someone who has always found value in personality typing such as Myers Briggs, Enneagram, Brainstyles and Strengths Finder. When I first heard about Human Design and I learned my energy type which is a Manifesting Generator, I read the description and I felt so seen and understood.
The way that I had been navigating through life finally made sense to me and instead of being critical of myself, I could actually begin to embrace my true nature. I saw that my way of doing things was very much in alignment with my design. Frankly, it was a sigh of relief.
What is Human Design?
- Human Design is a system that was created in 1992 by Alan Robert Krakower (aka Ra Uru Hu) and it brings together principles of The I Ching, Western Astrology, Kabbalistic Tree of Life, Hindu-Brahmin chakra system, and quantum physics to create a chart called a BodyGraph. This chart is calculated using your birth date, time, and place.
- Human Design provides a guide on how we can live in sync with our true nature. The BodyGraph reveals what aspects of our energy type, skills and traits we should lean into to experience flow and acceptance of our true selves.
- Human design is an experiment. Lean into it and see what happens. We can always go back to our old ways!
What is an Energy Type?
- Energy type is the first thing that identifies an individual in Human Design – like your Sun Sign in astrology.
- Think of the “energy type” as the science of the aura. It is how we are designed to use our energetic body to get us to where we are supposed to be in this life.
- Everything in life is an energetic trade and the energy type shows us how we are supposed to exchange energy with the world around us.
- Each of the 5 different energy types has a specific way that energy should be exchanged with people and the world around us.
- When we use the energy incorrectly, this is when we encounter resistance, experience struggle and / or put a lot of energy into things that don’t give us much back in return.
- When we use energy and exchange it correctly, we eliminate the resistance. Things start to feel more effortless and the things that come to us are MEANT for us.
- If you do nothing else in your HD journey just master your energy type – you don’t need to do anything else. Everything else in the chart will fall into place.
How to Get Started
- Go to myhumandesign.com and go to “Get Your Chart”.
- Input your birth details including birth day, birth time, birth location.
- NOTE – Information in the bodygraph chart is VERY sensitive to birth time so it is important to have an accurate birth time if possible.
- On the right hand side of the report under “Chart Properties” you will see your Energy Type, Strategy and Authority.
The 5 Energy Types
Generator Relationship to Energy
- Generators are here to create, to lift others up, to share, and to magnetize. When they are doing things they love, they create energy. Generators are pure life force in motion, these people have an “attracting” aura and can have a sparkly energetic aura.
- Generators are here to dance with life and engage their energy to move their community forward in a way that is meaningful to them. They are also the natural hustlers and doers of society.
- Generators master a craft over the course of their life. They will build on it and build on it. Doesn’t mean they will do the same job for a lifetime but they will build on the same skill set.
Manifesting Generator Relationship to Energy
- Manifesting Generators (MG) are multi-passionate, playful, and here experience the buffet of life.
- MGs are not on a linear path and are here to show the collective that “all over the place” is a good thing. The key for the MG is to know themselves so well that they know when to follow and go do that thing.
- The universe will put things in the path of the MG and the MG’s should follow the things that inspire or excite them.
- Following this non-linear path, the MG will always encounter a lesson, a new skill, or something to teach. Nothing they are truly interested in is a waste of time. This energy is asking them to follow their bliss.
- When an MG is doing what lights them up it makes them sparkly. It creates a magnetic vortex inside their aura which draws synchronicities, opportunities and people.
Manifestor Relationship to Energy
- A Manifestors relationship to energy is to gather energy and create momentum in a direction,
- Manifestors have the biggest aura of all the energy types and they are the 2nd rarest type – comprising only 8% of the population
- Manifestors have 3 gifts to give to the collective
- They can act independently and quickly
- They can initiate and catalyze action in others
- Impact others not only through energy but also through their manifestations.
- Manifestors are here to create waves, blaze the trail, stir things up and be the firestarters. They are here to create movements, whether they intentionally try to or not.
- This Manifesting energy in human design means that this individual doesn’t need to wait for collaboration from the universe in order to act. It’s an impulsive energy not driven by anything. It is the divine expressing itself through the individual. A big part of living correctly as a Manifestor is cherishing and honoring those impulses.
- Manifestors energy works in fits and starts and is very spontaneous. They will have high energy when they are in their urge but need to rest after.
Projector Relationship to Energy
- The Projector’s relationship to energy is to tweak, to guide, and to bring efficiencies. They are the new CEO’s on the planet.
- Projectors are non-energy beings – they are not here to create new energy in the world. Because of this, projectors can burn out quickly.
- Projectors are here to be guides for the tribe. They have an ability to see something the way others can’t.
- Projectors are here to see others and they want to be seen and recognized by others.
Reflector Relationship to Energy
- Reflectors are very rare – they make up about 1% of the population.
- Reflectors are generally calm, cool and collected
- The energetic nature of a Reflector is to reflect, to mirror, and to reveal
- Reflectors have the greatest potential for wisdom out of all of the types. They are true mirrors of society – they reveal to the collective what is really happening and they remind us that if we are brave enough to let go and be present we will download helpful information from the environment / universe.
Strategy and Authority
What is Strategy?
- In Human Design, “Strategy” refers to how we can energetically move through the world so we can attract the things that are meant for us into our life.
What is Authority?
- In a nutshell, “authority” is the way we gain clarity to make decisions. When you are presented an opportunity or a choice in life – how do you know what the right decision is for you? How do you know if something is in alignment for you? Your Human Design Authority is how you achieve clarity to know the right path forward.
- Authority is especially useful when you are making “BIG” decisions such as accepting a new job or relocating to a new city.
- There are 7 different “authority types” in Human Design. (see link to article below)
- Human Design Index (a list of all Human Design articles on my site) – CLICK HERE
- Generator Energy Type – CLICK HERE
- Manifesting Generator Energy Type – CLICK HERE
- Manifestor Energy Type – CLICK HERE
- Projector Energy Type – CLICK HERE
- Reflector Energy Type – CLICK HERE
- Authority Types in Human Design – CLICK HERE
- The Definitive Book of Human Design: The Science of Differentiation by Lynda Bunnell and Ra Uru Hu
- Jenna Zoe myhumandesign.com Level 1 – 3 Reader Trainings
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some links on this blog post may be affiliate links that can result in small commissions & help support the site.